NEO Project Name: Abortion Access Front
Position: Communications Director
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Status: Exempt – Full-Time
Reports to Chief Creative Officer and Managing Director
Founded in 2015, Abortion Access Front is a team of comedians, writers, and producers that uses humor to destigmatize abortion and expose the extremist anti-choice forces working to destroy access to reproductive rights in all 50 states.
We do the job that the media doesn’t, creating provocative and hilarious videos and social media content that educates people about the pervasive, discriminatory abortion laws that profoundly and disproportionately impact the poor and people of color. Another crucial part of AAF’s mission is to support and raise awareness about independent abortion providers. These clinics bear the brunt of anti-abortion legislation and harassment.
The Communications Director will develop and implement a communications strategy to effectively promote the work and public profile of Abortion Access Front. The Communications Director will oversee the Communications staff, including the Online Community Manager and Social Media Manager. The Communications Director will report to the Chief Creative Officer (CCO).
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Design and implement an overall communications and media strategy that advances the work and profile of Abortion Access Front, through a reproductive justice lens.
- Work with each department to create messaging strategies for short and long term projects, events, campaigns and fundraising activities.
- Oversee the implementation of strategies with social team and outside PR and marketing firms.
- Craft statements and talking points for CCO and all staff making public appearances.
- Create media opportunities for CCO such as interviews and personal appearances speaking about the current state of abortion access and about the work of Abortion Access Front.
- Serve as a spokesperson for Abortion Access Front in media appearances and interviews.
- Craft and/or edit public information materials, such as press releases, pitch memos, fact sheets, op eds, letters to the editor, and other materials used for dissemination of Abortion Access Front’s positions to the media.
- Create and maintain a database of writers, editors and producers for a large variety of media outlets.
- Create a communications style guide for staff on how to talk about AAF and our work.
- Proactively craft responses to breaking news that directly or indirectly affects abortion access.
- Track placement of AA Front’s media mentions, interviews, etc.
- Process and respond to anti-abortion attacks to the organization and its employees, including attacks directly at the Communications Director.
- Maintain press page on the AA Front’s website.
- Some travel required
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Bachelor’s degree
- 4 years’ experience at management level or higher in progressive issue, public interest communications, and/or nonprofit marketing, preferably in the fields of reproductive rights and justice or gender equality
- Ability to speak about abortion without stigma
- Experience in creating online and traditional media communications strategies
- Strong leadership skills to manage staff, outside PR and marketing firms and relationships with media
- Excellent communication skills with leadership and staff
- Strong writing skills with ability to communicate in the tone and brand of AAF and its CCO and outstanding verbal communication skills
- Strong press relationships and ability to build strong external and internal relationships
- Extremely organized
- Strong ability to pivot back and forth between projects in this ever changing media landscape and make judgement calls about how to prioritize projects and when prioritizes need to shift
- Ability to quickly turn around press statements, and rapid response strategy
- Ability to thrive in an open work environment with very little privacy
- Work hours require flexibility including occasionally working some weekends, and/or evening hours. Those instances may sometimes happen last minute
Valued and Non-Essential skills
- Social media analytics
- Drivers license
- Previous supervisory experience
- Passion for reproductive rights and justice and understanding the fundamentals of always crafting messaging through a reproductive justice framework
- Values diversity of thought, background and perspectives
- Proactive in creating relationships with communicators in our field and with editors and bookers in the media
- Adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change due to breaking news cycles, delays or unexpected events
- Adept at working in a fast-paced environment
- Political and social issues enthusiast
- Edgy sense of humor with the ability to effectively translate that humor into external communication
- Enthusiastic and proactive about interacting with the public and the media about AA Front’s work
How to Apply
Those interested should submit a resume to email@example.com
$80,000, negotiable commensurate with experience
Competitive benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance, long-term disability insurance, 3 weeks’ vacation, and paid holidays.
NEO Philanthropy Careers
Abortion Access Front is a project of NEO Philanthropy, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NEO Philanthropy is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NEO Philanthropy’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.