Director of Development
NEO Project Name: Abortion Access Front
Position: Director of Development
Location: Virtual with some in person events
Status: Exempt – Full-Time
Reports to: CCO
All NEO staff are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Requests for medical and/or religious exemptions from the vaccination requirement will be considered on an individual basis, to the extent required by law.
Founded in 2015 by Lizz Winstead, Abortion Access Front (AAF) uses humor and outrage to destigmatize abortion and expose extremist, anti-choice forces working to destroy access to reproductive rights across the country. AAF fosters a multicultural, multiethnic and gender-fluid team of comedians, writers, producers, activists, and volunteers who create content, stage events and build grassroots support for abortion providers that comes from and speaks to a diversity of life experiences. AAF is a fiscally sponsored project of NEO Philanthropy, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NEO's work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of races, ethnicities, national origins, ages, sexual orientations, gender identities, beliefs, religions, faiths and ideologies, cultures, socio-economic backgrounds and levels of physical ability.
The Development Director is responsible for stewarding key relationships, developing individual and major donor giving programs and planning special fundraising events. This position contributes to the overall financial planning and budgeting for the organization. This position also supervises the Foundation Giving Officer.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- With input from the senior leadership team, forecast revenue and set annual goals for all aspects of the Annual Fund, including individual giving campaigns, major donors, development events, and foundation grants.
- Create and execute a strategy for a large sustained base of annual individual donors.
- Develop, implement and manage the cultivation and solicitation of a portfolio of major giving donors/prospects as part of an integrated development plan.
- Research, identify, and cultivate new financial prospects for the organization including from individuals and family foundations.
- Manage the support needs for fundraising goals, special events, and initiatives.
- Prepare fundraising materials including letters, case statements and direct mail.
- Supervise the processing of acknowledgements, contributions, pledges, credit card donations, gifts in kind, and other information related to special events, donor cultivation.
- Review monthly financial reconciliation from fiscal sponsor to account for incoming revenue.
- Advocate for Abortion Access Front and its funding priorities to external constituencies
- Supervise the work of the Foundation Giving Officer, and ensure that foundation funder needs are being met, and that foundation revenue is meeting specified goals.
- Manage quarterly updates and schedule bi-annual meetings with AAF’s advisory board, on-board new members, and tap them for AAF projects as needed.
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Experience in nonprofit fundraising with particular expertise in annual giving, and event planning or equivalent experience from which comparable knowledge and skills are acquired
- Excellent interpersonal and communication, verbal & written, skills that enable work in a collaborative team environment
- Strong analytical thinking and problem solving skills
- Computer literacy, including competence in Microsoft Office, Google Applications
- Ability to speak effectively to groups of employees, volunteers, board members and the public
- Ability to organize, multi-task and effectively function in a fast paced environment to set and achieve short and long term goals
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours including weekends, and/or evening hours
- Ability to work independently under minimal supervision
- Must be flexible, diligent, team-oriented and have a sense of humor
- Passionate about smashing abortion stigma
- Exceptional communicator
- Extremely well organized, detail-oriented and analytical
- Sense of humor
Salary range for this position is $90,000 to $95,000 commensurate with experience. Through NEO Philanthropy, this position is offered a full benefits package, including 100% medical coverage for the employee and 90% medical coverage for dependents; 100% coverage for vision, dental, life/AD&D, long-term disability. NEO also offers a 401K retirement savings plan, Healthcare Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA), Medical FSA, Dependent Care FSA, commuter benefits, Employee Assistance Program, other supplemental benefits and paid time off.
How to Apply:
To apply, please send your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com no later than January 31, 2023. AAF at NEO Philanthropy is an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other legally protected status. Women, people of color, LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply